Concerts and Performances
at Third Life Studio
Since 2004, Third Life Studio has been building its reputation as a destination to experience live music and dance in the Boston area. It is an intimate space with beautiful, clear acoustics and a warm, inviting ambiance--or as one audience member recently said, "This space has a GREAT vibe!" The Studio has a commitment to presenting quality, multi-genre music and dance performance: from jazz to world music, from modern dance to cabaret, and from classical chamber music to the experimental realms of electronic sonic space. Third Life Studio has a particular interest in promoting the arts of all cultures, as well as performances and events that foster cross-cultural understanding and promote peace-building in oursleves, our communities and around the world.
Performers and audience alike enjoy this listening room atmosphere. Please contact us to plan a date for your performance at Third Life Studio!
“Thanks for keeping so much great work alive with your Studio. It takes true believers, and often times the artists are the ones who truly believe!”
—Diane Edgecomb, Storyteller
"Third Life Studio is an amazing, welcoming space with a beautiful Steinway. What more could I ask for? While on my recent Northeast tour, I performed here and loved the intimacy and acoustics of this space. And to find such a wonderful piano makes it perfect. I am already booked here in the Fall and look forward to many future performances here. :) "
--Doug Hammer, pianist
"This Somerville venue presents the profoundly finest and most eclectic music, dance, storytelling and art planetary fare in town."
--Dean Stevens, singer-songwriter and concert producer
Policies and Details:
1) As of August 1, 2018, the rental fee for performances is $45 per hour for the first 4 hours, plus $27.50 per hour for each additional hour (prorated to the quarter hour) from arrival to departure.
2) A non-refundable deposit of $45 is required at the time of rental to confirm and hold the rented time. After reserving a date, please send a check, made payable to Susan Robbins, to: Susan Robbins, Third Life Studio, 33 Union Square, Somerville, MA 02143
3) Promotion of the event is shared, with the primary responsibility of pulling in an audience resting with the artists. Third LIfe Studio will post events on this website, send promotional emailings to the extensive Studio email list, post events on the wide-reaching Somerville Arts Council Listserve, and post on the Studio's facebook page. If provided, a poster will be hung on the streetside bulletin board. Artists are encouraged to promote to their own audience base, poster, as well to send press releases to local press and online sites.
It is the artists' responsibility to provide Third Life Studio with:
a) promotional flyer for posting on the Studio streetside bulletin board.
b) other promotional information: concert details (time, admission price),
names of performers, a descriptive paragraph of their music and a website
link if it exists.
4) The legal capacity of the room is 49 (combined artists & audience). The artists determine their own admission price; beyond the agreed upon rental fee, the proceeds from the door go directly to the artists. All money from CD or product sales goes directly to the artist.
5) The Studio has a beautiful Steinway baby grand. If it is needed for performance, the cost for a tuning with the Studio's tuner ($140) is the artist's responsibility.
6) Currently, the Studio does not have its own PA system. Much music happens acoustically in this space. However, if a PA is required, the artist is welcome to bring their own, set it up and provide someone to run the board.
PARTIAL ARCHIVAL LIST of PERFORMERS
Mandorla Music Series
Third Life Choreographers Series
Creative Music Series
Equilibrium Music Series
Calamity Series: Modern and Pop Art Variety Shows
Boston Butoh Dance Performance Series
Boston Classical Guitar Series
Boston Guitar Project
GROUPS AND ARTISTS:
Stan Strickland & Josh Rosen
Kevin Harris and Steve Langone
Jason Davis and EarthSound
Melissa Kassel/Tom Zicarelli Group
Dave Burrell/ Garrison Fewell
Joel Springer & Macuco Quintet
Leap of Faith Orchestra
David Thorne Scott and Marc Shilansky
Steve Thomas & the Co-Conspirators
Shepley Metcalf and Ron Roy
Doug Hammer & Michele MacLaughlin
WORLD MUSIC and TRADITIONAL FOLK:
Tunde Jegede, kora and cello
Adilei (Republic of Georgia)
Phil Nyokai James & The World Flute Trio
Soma Sarkar with Amol Khanapurkar
Starry Mountain Singers
Moira Smiley and Voco
Dean Stevens and Oen Kennedy
Kallet, Epstein & Cicone
Deborah Langstaff and Friends
CLASSICAL and NEW MUSIC:
Sonic Liberation Players
Zograf String Quartet
Willow Flute Ensemble
Takatsugu Hagiwara, tuba
Mana Washio, flute
Noriko Yasuda, piano
William Silvio, saxophone
Shizuyo Le Nestour, piano
Aaron Larget-Caplan, guitar
Ian Ethan Case and Matthew Shoening
Metal and Glass Ensemble
Duo Live Oak
Stormin’ Norman and Suzy
Doug Hammer and Amethyste