Third Life Studio in Union Square, Somerville closed as of July 31st, 2019. If you would like to hear about if and when the Studio reopens in another location, please send an email to email@example.com and request being added to the email list. Thanks!
Third Life Studio is available to rent for concerts, performances, workshops,
ongoing classes, rehearsals, coachings, recording sessions, video shoots, recitals, private lessons, and private events. The Studio has done everything possible to keep its doors open and rates affordable for all creative people in the face of astronomical rent increases over the last few years in Union Square and the surrounding areas. Thank you for your continued loving support of Third Life Studio!
A) Rental rates (calculated from arrival time to departure time):
* Concerts, Performances, and Private Events:
$45 per hour for the first 4 hours and $27.50 per hour for each additional hour,
prorated to the quarter hour
For any event in this category that uses the Studio's piano, there will be an additional
charge of $35 towards the Piano Maintenance Fund. This allows for the piano to be kept
in performance condition with regular tunings. If a performer desires a special day-of-
concert piano tuning, the full cost of $140 will be the responsibility of the artist.
* Classes, Workshops, Coachings, and Recitals: $45 per hour
* Recording Sessions and Video Shoots: $45 per hour with an additional fee for a
freelance audio engineer (a recommendation can be provided on request)
* Rehearsals: $27.50 per hour
* Private Lessons: $22 per hour
B) Rental Policy for Classes and Workshops:
* If a scheduled class or workshop is not going to run due to lack of enrollment, 48 hours
cancellation is required AND a payment of half the first date's total rental fee.
* If a class or workshop has to be cancelled due to severe weather, it may be rescheduled at
Third Life Studio for no additional charge.
C) Rental Policy for concerts and performances:
* A non-refundable deposit of $45 is required at the time of rental to confirm and hold the
rented time. After reserving a date, please send a check, made payable to Susan Robbins, to:
Third Life Studio
33 Union Square, Somerville, MA 02143
* Third Life Studio offers a beautiful Steinway L baby grand piano, in quality condition.
No alteration or preparation may be done to the piano for performance without
communication in advance with Susan Robbins.
* Promotion of the event is shared, with the primary responsibility of pulling in an audience
resting with the artists. Third LIfe Studio will do promotional emailings to a wide circle of
connections as well as post events to the extensive Somerville Arts Council Listserve.
* Artists are encouraged to promote to their own audience base, poster, send press releases to
local press, and post in online event calendars.
* The legal capacity of the room is 49 (combined artists & audience). The artists determine
their own admission price; beyond the agreed upon rental fee, the proceeds from the door
go directly to the artists. All money from CD or product sales goes directly to the artist.
* Third Life Studio does not have its own PA. Many concerts happen acoustically, but if a PA is
needed, it is the artist's responsibility to bring their own.
* Post-concert receptions are welcome, but alcohol may not be served. All food, non-alcoholic
beverages, plates and utensils must be provided by the artist, and cleanup is the artist's
* It is the artists' responsibility to provide Third Life Studio with:
a) promotional flyers for posting on the Studio streetside bulletin board.
b) other promotional information: concert details (time, admission price), names of
performers, a descriptive paragraph of their music, a photo, and a website link if it exists.
For more information, or to reserve a date or time at
Third Life Studio, please contact:
Third Life Studio
33 Union Square. Somerville, MA 02143